Heritage & Architecture
Merrington Anzac Memorial Peace Chapel
During World War 1 when the Revd Dr Ernest Merrington was the Minister at St Andrew’s, he also served as a Chaplain with AIF troops at Egypt, Gallipoli and Europe. A transept within the building honours him and all who have taken part in conflicts since. The names of 268 men and women are listed on honour boards and plaques in the chapel. A wall photograph depicts Dr Merrington conducting a service with the troops at Gallipoli and the communion vessels he used are displayed below it. Anzac Day services and other services of remembrance are conducted in this chapel.
Rees-Thomas Mission Chapel
The Revd Dr Tom Rees-Thomas was the Minister of the City Congregational Church (later Ann Street City Uniting Church) from 1948 till it closed in 1981 to join Saint Andrew’s. Dr Rees-Thomas came with his Congregation and served as a Minister-in-Association at St Andrew’s till his death in 1993. The chapel honours his long and faithful ministry in Brisbane where he was well-known as a public figure, advocate for those less fortunate and supporter of missionary work at home and abroad. The communion table and chairs in the chapel, memorial gifts from the Ann Street City Church, are now used weekly at the 8am service in the Rees-Thomas Mission Chapel.
The photographs of all the Ministers since 1858 are displayed in the Committee Room adjacent to the foyer. It is interesting to read the captions which show their years of ministry and the churches they served. They number 24 – Congregational (10), Presbyterian (10) and UCA (4).
As part of the celebration of our building’s centenary in 2005, members and groups within the Congregation were invited to contribute a square, decorated in whatever way they chose, to represent their connection with the life and work of St Andrew’s. This attractive quilt is now an interesting feature on the wall inside the church building.